Of Jefferson County, it has been said that, "No Tennessee county has a more honorable record or a more interesting history than Jefferson." The early settlers were people of intelligence, education and patriotism. The first permanent settlement at Dandridge dates to 1783; the village became the county seat in 1793.
The Jefferson County Courthouse, located on Main Street in Dandridge, is one of the oldest county courthouses in Tennessee, which is still in use. Erected in 1845, by Hickman Brothers Construction for $6,666, the current courthouse replaced a much smaller log structure. It is most likely that Judge Robert Hynds, chairman of the building committee, drew the plans for the Jefferson County Courthouse.
Jefferson County Courthouse The courthouse is a two-story brick structure built in the Greek Revival style. Some of its features include handmade bricks, a wooden cupola and a unique roof framing system void of nails. It is a prime example of the level of craftsmanship that was predominant in Tennessee during that time.
Documents from 1792 are intact in the courthouse. These documents include wills, marriage records and the like. A county museum, established in 1957, is located inside the courthouse, which displays Indian and Civil War relics, historic documents and artifacts from the area. Records show that the courthouse even served as a hospital during the Civil War.
In the 1940s, the construction of Douglas Dam threatened to cover Dandridge and the courthouse with waters from Douglas Lake. However, the town and courthouse were saved from extinction by President Roosevelt's executive orders to build a dike to prevent the flooding of Dandridge. Since that time, a two-story brick addition has been constructed on the west side of the original courthouse to accommodate growth to the county.
Jefferson City Mayor
New Market Mayor
White Pine Mayor
1st District - Katy Fox Huffaker
1st District - Todd Kesterson
2nd District - Steve Douglas
2nd District - David Gaut
3rd District - Randy Baxley
3rd District - Rita Musick
3rd District - Donnie Tabor
4th District - John McGraw
4th District - Russell Turner
5th District - Tim Seals
5th Dstrict - Sammy Solomon
6th District - Rob Blevins
6th District - "Gene" Eslinger
7th District - Randy Bales
7th District - John Neal Scarlett
8th District - Terry Dockery
8th District - Robert Tucker
9th District - Jimmy Carmichael
9th District - David Seal
10th District - Bob Beeler
10th District - Barbara Jean Sheets
Administrator of Elections
Register of Deeds
Susan Gaddis Gass
G.W. “Bud” McCoig
Circuit Court/General Sessions Court Clerk
Circuit Court Judges
Division I: Honorable Ben W. Hooper, II
Division II: Honorable Richard R. Vance
Division III: Honorable Rex Henry Ogle
Division IV: Honorable O. Duane Slone*
Child Support Magistrate
General Sessions Court Judge
Honorable Dennis "Will" Roach
Chancery Court Chancellor
Telford E. Forgety, Jr.
Elementary, Middle, and High Schools
Dandridge Elementary School
Jefferson Academy - Alternative School
Jefferson County High School
Jefferson Elementary School
Jefferson Middle School
Maury Middle School
Mount Horeb Elementary School
New Market Elementary School
Piedmont Elementary School
Rush Strong School
Talbott Elementary School
White Pine School
Colleges, Community Colleges, and Universities
Walters State Community College
Baneberry is a small community with a population of approximately 325 residents. Located on a peninsula on Douglas Lake, it has spectacular views of English Mountain and features a beautiful championship golf course in Baneberry Golf Resort. The resort has a tennis court, a restaurant and a Par 71 golf course with excellent bentgrass greens. The lodge at Baneberry offers rooms for rental.
Dandridge is the county seat of government and one of the oldest towns in Tennessee and the only town in America, named after America's first, First Lady, Martha Dandridge Custis Washington. This quaint, historic town has preserved many of its historic buildings and offers a glimpse into history. The Jefferson County Courthouse built in 1845 houses a museum that has many historic photographs and is the same courthouse that the legendary Davy Crockett ventured to in order to obtain his marriage license. This beautiful town is bordered by Douglas Lake and has seen a recent boom in commercial investment by the addition of restaurants and shopping opportunities in the downtown area.
In 2013, Dandridge was honored by being awarded the title of "Best Small Town on the Water" by Life on the Water magazine.
Originally known as the Town of Mossy Creek, Jefferson City was renamed in 1901 by State Senate Bill 124, signed by Governor Benton McMillan. Lumbering was the first big industry other than farming. Today Jefferson City is one of the largest cities in Jefferson County and is the location of Carson-Newman University. Jefferson City is located between Morristown and Knoxville, TN on Highway 11E.
Jefferson City is also home to many businesses and restaurants. With beautiful Cherokee Lake on the North-west border and the historic Victorian Glenmore Mansion nearby, Patriot Hills Golf Club off Highway 92 and minutes from Douglas Lake, one will find that there is much to see and experience here in Jefferson City.
New Market is an historic town that once was home to famous writer Francis Hodgson Burnett, author of such noted classics as Little Lord Fauntleroy, The Secret Garden and The Little Princess. New Market has beautiful rolling hills and offers some of the most scenic views in the county. New Market is home to River Glen Equestrian Park which is located on the Holston River and the property ranges from river bottoms to wooded ridge tops offering spectacular views of Clinch Mountain. The park hosts the River Glen Horse Trails and many other important equestrian events.
White Pine is located off Interstate 81 in the northeast portion of the county. Incorporated in 1901, the town is today home of the Smoky Mountain Expo Center, a 6,000-seat arena managed by Walters State Community College. White Pine is also home to the southeastern distribution center for Old Dominion, which has over 247 dock locations.